Thursday, September 12, 2013

DIY | Why so quiet?

























Things have been quiet around here.

It's eerie.

What's up?  Let me tell you.

Well it all started with a visit from a sub contractor that I was thinking about hiring for help with our kitchen refresh.  He knew a lot about period details.  Particularly, about things in our kitchen.

Then he mentioned that there might be hardwood under our vinyl tiles.

When he left, my interest was piqued.  And my husband was out of town.  It wouldn't hurt anyone to peel back a piece and see for myself.

Perfect storm.

I was SO EXCITED when I saw the hardwood.  I couldn't stop peeling.  It was like I had struck gold.  I could get this done before my husband came home.  A present!

Until, I realized that the adhesive that covered the floor was like one giant, sticky mouse trap.  And I was the mouse.

Cue the internet research.  Hair driers, peanut butter, detergent, scraping.  There was no easy way out.  The only thing that worked was goof gone, pine sol and a lot of scrubbing.  So much scrubbing that my fingers are now arthritic.  And I'm covered in sticky goo.  It's not a good look.

So, that's why it's been so quiet.  Because I'm past the point of no return.  Scrubbing away.  Covered in grime.  Dreaming of hardwood floors.  The dark stuff in the photo is adhesive.

One flooring store we called said it would take three guys a few days to clean the floors.  She also said it would be cheaper to lay a new floor than to hire guys to clean it.

Challenge accepted.

Help.  Me. 

What are you up to?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *